2 Door Saloon Door Glass. Showing the bottom where the winder connects. The rubber that runs along the channel had perrish so I replaced it with the same type of rubber that runs under the door as it has the same profile available HERE
|I had 2 doors that had been in the garden shed since I scrapped a black 2 door 5 year ago. Both doors had rotted out at the bottom. Instead of buying repair panels I decided to cut out the rot and make my own. These 2 doors would replace the door presently fitted to Moggy.|
Near side door start.
Repair panel hammered in to shape.
Door marked up and the rot cut out.
|Repair section welded in|
|Weld linnished off|
|Etch weld primer|
|I left plenty of drainage holes in the closing repair panel|
|Crack welded up and the edge rebuilt with weld|
|surface rust showing under the old primer|
|Old paint remove with a 36 grit disc|
|1st coat of etch primer|
|fill, rub dowm and repeat, and repeat.....|
|flaten back and repeat....|
Near side Door finnished. I lost count of the days this took, or should I say weeks!
I can see now why a friend was quoted £700 per door to repair his 3500 Rover
Door internals sprayed with Dynax 50
|Off Side door start.|
I opened up the seam along the bottom, dug out the rot and inserted a thin strip of steel and closed the seam again, this would give me something solid to weld the repair panel to and keep the bottom edge where it should be.
|Drivers doors tend to crack here. I shaped a small piece of steel sheet about 4 x 1 1/2 inch to fit on the inside under the crack and welded through the crack onto the new steel.|
|to be continued next summer:|